Saturday, August 16, 2008

Beta #1

Ok today Thursday Aug 7th was the day I was to get my first blood test to confirm I was/was not pregnant. Shady Grove will not got off of home pregnancy test as a matter of fact they discourage their patients from taking them. Yea right, like anyone is going to wait for the blood test :-).

So I had to go in for my HCG Beta blood test. The clinic looks at your total number of HCG or and their doubling rates to help them determine health of the pregnancy early on. The standard doubling rate they are looking for is for your numbers to double every 48-72 hours. Obviously in order to measure doubling rates you have to have more then 1 test done....so I will have 2-3, depending on what they decide they want. I think most dr. like to see HCG levels above 100 at the first blood draw but anything over 5 is considered a positive pregnancy test. We have spent a lot of time on http://www.betabase.info/ learning about average HCG levels for respective days of pregnancy, just so we would have some idea of how to gage my numbers when we got them back.



So for today which I am 17 days past egg retrieval or ovulation (however you want to look at it) my number was 1697.

Holy Smokes!!!! could that be right the average for today for a singleton is 292 and for twins is 580...I called Chad immediately and told him we may need to prepare ourselves for more then one. Of course it could just be one very healthy baby which would be perfect too.



So I guess I am definitely pregnant....I can hardly believe it!!!!!!

No comments: